Almost all black clothes will slowly fade after repeated washing and drying. The last time the wardrobe is opened, it is full of dark gray clothes and pants. Instead of buying new clothes to eliminate faded clothes, try the following method to restore the original color of the clothes.
Way 1 Restore the original color with dye
- It is recommended not to dye clothes with the “Dry Clean Only” label.
- The ability of each fabric to absorb dyes is different, and the dyeing effect is also different. If you are worried about the dyeing effect of a certain piece of clothing, you can try it in an inconspicuous place first.
- In the entire dyeing process, do not use porcelain or fiberglass bathtubs, they will also be dyed.
- During the entire dyeing and rinsing process, you need to wear rubber gloves.
- Want to dye the deepest black, but the tap water at home is not hot enough? You can heat the water with a stove, kettle or microwave.
- Check the packaging instructions of the dye to make sure the amount is enough to dye your clothes. The dosage required for each product is different, so be sure to check the package or the manual inserted in it to understand the exact dosage.
- Add 1 tablespoon of detergent to the dye solution. Doing so can promote dye absorption. Stir until the detergent and dye solution are well mixed.
- When dyeing cotton, rayon (rayon), ramie or linen cloth, add 1 cup of salt to the dyeing solution to enhance the coloring.
- When dyeing nylon, silk and wool, add 1 cup (approximately 240 ml) of vinegar to the dye solution to enhance the coloring.
- Keep the water at the high temperature at the beginning. Place a stove, microwave, or teapot nearby so that you can heat water and add it to the dye solution.
- Another method is to use a large stainless steel pot to fill the dye solution, put it on the stove, and keep heating during dyeing to maintain a consistent temperature.
- Soak the clothes in hot water for a few minutes before putting them in the dye solution. This will make the clothes smoother and easier to color.
- The clothes taken out of the dye solution will be very wet, and the color will look darker than after the last washing and drying.
- Turn the clothes over and put them in the washing machine to wash them separately.Use warm water and mild detergent, and choose a mild cleaning program.
- When washing freshly-dyed clothes for the first three times, it is best to separate them from other clothes. Use cold water and a mild detergent that has no bleaching effect. Choose a mild washing mode.
- Afterwards, dyed clothes can be washed with undyed clothes of the same color, but you must use cold water and mild detergent.
Way 2 Restore original colors with coffee
- This method is most effective for cotton fabrics, such as faded black T-shirts. The effect on other fabrics is not so ideal.
- If you want to restore your clothes to a very deep black, coffee may not be as effective as black fabric dye. The color of coffee is more natural.
- You can also use 2 cups of black tea instead of black coffee to achieve similar results.
- The most important thing is to use freshly brewed black coffee, it doesn’t matter what method is used to brew it. If you usually drink instant coffee, you can also use them. It is not necessary to use coffee brewed by a coffee machine.
- If you have dyed clothes with commercially available fabric dyes before, you will find that the clothes smell much better during and after using this method.
- This method is also non-toxic and there is no need to worry about coffee staining the inner tub of the washing machine.
Way 3 Prevent fading
- If you want to reduce the number of washing black clothes, take them off and air-dry after wearing them each time. Don’t wash them. Hang it somewhere on a hanger and let it dry by itself before putting it back in the closet.
- After wearing it in this way and air-drying two or three times before washing.
- If you wash clothes made of delicate fabrics and heavy fabrics together, the former may be damaged, while the latter may not be washed clean.
- If you really don’t want to wash it by hand, put it in a second place and pack your delicate clothes in a mesh bag for a washing machine. Put them in a mesh bag first, and then put them in the washing machine, so as to reduce the damage to them caused by the washing machine agitation.
- If you are not sure what way to wash your clothes, always choose hand washing.
- If your washing machine has a dirty setting, unless the clothes are really dirty, it’s best to choose a slightly dirty setting. Compared with other settings, micro-dirt is gentler on dark clothes.
- Do not use too much detergent, just as long as it can clean the clothes. Too much detergent will cause discoloration.
- After they are completely dry, they can be put in the closet together with other clothes.